Tuesday, November 20, 2012

If Not For Not-So-Honest Abe Lincoln...

It has been a long time since a movie has made me teary-eyed.

Lincoln made it perfectly clear that Abe wasn't as honest as we were all led to believe in our junior high American History classes. Without ruining the movie for you, all I will say is that he made some moral compromises, obviously trusting that the end would indeed justify the means.

As I sat in that theatre, thinking about each of the men who voted to pass the 13th Amendment and the personal struggles they overcame, I felt tears welling up in my eyes. If that bill hadn't passed, our country wouldn't be the same. I would never have met some of my closest childhood friends because we wouldn't have had the opportunity to go to school together. 

I thought about the obstacles that equality has yet to conquer in the present-day, mainly the issue of gay marriage. Friends have confided in me about how difficult it was to muster up the courage to come out to their loved ones. Some of them have since been accepted fully for who they are; others have been excommunicated from their families and churches. 

Regardless of the "Nature vs. Nurture" argument and its statistics, they are NOT numbers. They're REAL men and women who have the same needs and wants that I have - to be loved and accepted freely. 

Doesn't an adult who is in a loving, committed relationship with another adult have the same rights as I do? If they go to work, pay their taxes, vote, etc., why should the fact that their marriage is to an individual of the same-sex even matter?

I'd LOVE to hear YOUR thoughts, so share them in the comment box below. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment